Lactation Consultation and Breastfeeding Support Services
I am a maternal/child home health care nurse with more than 25 years experience helping new moms and babies — and the wonderful dads and others that support them — get off to a healthy start. I have been a certified lactation consultant since 1998 and have worked with new families in both the hospital and clinic settings — and visited hundreds in their homes — providing personal, practical support to help them get off on the right foot.
I love my work. I truly believe breasts are best and the investment you make in breastfeeding is one of the best gifts you can provide your baby. I provide gentle, supportive, breastfeeding help in a family-centered environment as I work with you, your baby, your supporting cast and healthcare providers.
An in-home lactation visit includes a detailed history of mother/infant, an assessment of maternal/infant anatomy, observation of a feeding for evaluation of technique and effectiveness of feeding and recommendations for management to improve and/or resolve breastfeeding related issues. All clients are provided with a written and/or verbal care path to improve breastfeeding concerns. Each consult generally lasts about 90 minutes. Additional in-home follow-up visits are sometimes necessary to successfully resolve some breastfeeding problems and are billed separately.
Additional follow-up Telephone/Skype Consults (billed separately) may also be available to address minor concerns/questions.
My specialties include:
- Prenatal breastfeeding assessment and counseling
- Positioning and latching problems
- Prevention and management of engorgement and sore nipples
- Establishing and increasing milk supply
- Sucking difficulties that interfere with breastfeeding (e.g. tongue-tied)
- Monitoring and encouraging infant weight gain
- Working with twins (multiples)
- Premature babies
- Infants with neurological issues or physical disabilities
- Creating a feeding plan for returning to work
- Mom-to-Mom (and Mom-to-Dad, as needed) support for Mom’s emotional/physical needs (I've been there! :) )
- Providing general maternal/child medical information, as required
I happily furnish written reports/telephone consults to your healthcare provider, as required or requested
Availability for home visit lactation consultation:
Self-referrals are accepted.
To request a home consult, please email or call me at (360) 474-7092.
Please call or email for cost of services. I accept cash, check or credit card at the time of our consultation.
To keep my costs low (and to keep things simple), like most lactation consultants I do not direct-bill insurance companies. Instead, I provide you with a detailed "super-bill," which is in the format insurance companies require, that is ready to be submitted directly to them for reimbursement. The Affordable Care Act now requires all but a few older medical insurance plans to fully cover — without a copay or co-insurance — lactation support services for as long as you choose to breastfeed. More information is available here and here.